Re: extinction

Response to Phil Bigelow's post of Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:44:19 on multiple K-T transition iridium spikes.

Dear Colleagues,

In my last post, I stated that "one of the authors of the paper "Sequence stratigraphic setting of the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary in central Alabama Bragg, Alabama"--that I have referenced several times as having three iridium spikes--is the world-renowned Peter Vail, the father of sequence stratigraphy."

That paper is fundamental to understanding the K-T transition geobiological record, and the K-T mass extinction that includes the dinosaurs, and will be the basis of other posts.

Those Colleagues who wish to know about the tremendous impact Peter Vail has had on the science of geology can read about him at:

http://www.aapg.org/explorer/2003/05may/slc_vail.cfm

Those wishing to learn details about sequence stratigraphy can do so at:

http://www.aseg.org.au/publications/Mul/ss1.htm

Cordially,
Dewey McLean