Re: extinction

> Oh.  I thought there were no known large flying birds at the end of the
> Cretaceous. The simplest explanation here is that perhaps it was due to
> pterosaurian competition.  To imply that pterosaurs were out-competed by
> birds sounds like a vast, catastropic, generalization.  :-)
>
> Jim

Well said.
Nevertheless, there is only negative evidence that suggests that the
pterosaurs did die out catastrophically at the K-T boundary:
http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2003Jul/msg00405.html. So we better use taxa
with a better fossil record to decide this long-decided issue.

(Not that I could imagine anything that would gradually kill off all
pterosaurs.)