Pterosaur extinction (Re: extinction)

It's vastly easier to *falsify* the hypothesis that the K-T boundary clay
coincides with the extinction of pterosaurs, than it is to *prove* that
the K-T boundary clay coincides with their extinction.

It's that $$^&@ Signore-Lipps Effect raising its ugly head again!

<pb>
--

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:36:57 -0500 (EST) John Bois <jbois@umd5.umd.edu>
writes:
> When pterosaurs gradually disappear from the fossil record, and only
> very few species remain at the end, it is fair to exclude them from
> any
> "vast, general, catastrophic extinction."  To lump pterosaurs in
> with this
> is a vast, catastrophic, generalization.  The simplest explanation
> here is that they were on their way out anyway--more likely due to
> avian
> competition, perhaps.
>
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, James R. Cunningham wrote:
>
> > Dewey M. McLean wrote:
> > > There was no vast, general, catastrophic extinction of life at
> the K-T
> > > boundary.
> >
> > That's wonderful news.
> >
> > I love pterosaurs.  At which zoos can I find the best
> representative
> > collections?  :-)

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!