Re: Pterosaur extinction (Re: extinction)

Phil Bigelow wrote:

> It's vastly easier to *falsify* the hypothesis that the K-T boundary clay
> coincides with the extinction of pterosaurs, than it is to *prove* that
> the K-T boundary clay coincides with their extinction.
>
> It's that $$^&@ Signore-Lipps Effect raising its ugly head again!

One of the things that I like best about being an engineer rather than a
scientist is that my profession operates to a different set of
standards.

If you chain me down to the bottom of a swimming pool, then fill the
pool, then come back in 200 years and look my descendants up in the
geneological records, it's likely that you won't find any children born
more than a few months after the date of the chaining.  That doesn't
prove that I drowned, but using engineering standards, it'd be strong
enough evidence to act upon. A scientist would have to assume that I was
still out there somewhere, petting Schrodinger's Cat.

Jim