Re: extinction

John Bois wrote:

> When pterosaurs gradually disappear from the fossil record, and only a
> very few species remain at the end, it is fair to exclude them from any
> "vast, general, catastrophic extinction."

Interesting.  But among pterosaurs, the survivor's trend was apparently
toward larger fliers and those big animals would still be able to launch
and fly today, were they here.  Even the smaller type of Quetzalcoatlus
is more robust and heavier than any modern flying bird.  They seem to
have been quite sucessful all the way to the end of the latest
Cretaceous.

>  To lump pterosaurs in with this
> is a vast, catastrophic, generalization.  The simplest explanation
> here is that they were on their way out anyway--more likely due to avian
> competition, perhaps.

Oh.  I thought there were no known large flying birds at the end of the
Cretaceous. The simplest explanation here is that perhaps it was due to
pterosaurian competition.  To imply that pterosaurs were out-competed by
birds sounds like a vast, catastropic, generalization.  :-)

Jim