Re:extinction4

Mr Marjanovic wrote:
'> NO2 from impact:
> If the diameter of the extraterestrial object was 10 km then the
> cross-section was around 80 km2. If the total quantity of the air of the
> way of the extraterestrial object converted to NO2

Why not much, much more? Why not also the air several kilometers around that
tunnel, and the air _in the fireball_ which obviously had a much, much
larger cross-section than 80 km²?

Besides, I also mentioned SO2 and CO2, because the impact site consists of
anhydrite and dolomite. These gases would have contributed to acidic rain.'

Please, see what I wrote:
- "way of the extraterestrial object", therefore I counted the part of the
process before the collision with Earth, other parts are following,
- "total quantity", but only 1/3 of the air can convert to NO2 because
isn't more oxigen in the air, therefore I counted 3 times more NO2.

But this isn't important neglect. The most critical is the velocity of the
reaction.

The object droped across the air less than 10 seconds. The oxidation of the
nitrogen to NO without catalizator can conduct in 10 second at the
temperature around 2100 Celsius (at 1500 the time is 30 hours). And faster
process is higher temperature.

The object could get heat from collisions with molecules of the air
therefore the temperature of it wasn't enough high for notable conversion.

If you see this fact then the concentration of NO2 of my count was much,
much more higher than it can real.

NO can proceed in the air from lighting because at 3000 Celsius is enough 1
microsecond for the conversion.

I wrote "Let's count 1" because I will write a series of answers. I will
write about SO2 and CO2 too.

Endre Simonyi