Re: Large last gasp of pterosaurs

Quoting John Bois <jbois@umd5.umd.edu>:

> Here is where I think circular thinking creeps in: Catastrophic mass
> extinction is evidence of a hostile environment created by the
> bolide-->pterosaurs became extinct at the same time so it must have been
> because of the hostile environment.

Well, not quite.  The hostile environment is inferred from the presence of a
bolide and a knowledge of the laws of physics.  Pterosaurs became extinct at
the same time, so it is reasonable to hypothesize that the hostile environment
(inferred on independent grounds) had something to do with it.  No circularity
here.

Nick Pharris
Department of Linguistics
University of Michigan