Re: Ichthyosaur exinction

  jedimr_thomas@hotmail.com (Thomas de Wilde) asks:

<< Can somebody tell me where the youngest Platypterygius were found, and
where
the mosasaurs arose. If it's the same locality this might be it >>

       As I recall, in the Black Hills area of South Dakota and Wyoming the
last Platypterygius specimens are found in the Cenomanian Mowry Shale. The
first sizeable mosasaur remains are found in the Coniacian Sage Breaks Member
of
the Carlile Shale, although smaller forms are found in the Turonian Turner
Sandy member. The last ichthyosaurs in the region were seperated from the
earliest
mosasaurs by the Belle Fourche Shale and the Greenhorn Limestone formations.
I don't have the actual dates, but it was a few million years, I think. This
maybe out of date, however. I am. DV