Re: Large last gasp of pterosaurs

----- Original Message -----
From: <ee555@freenet.carleton.ca>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: Large last gasp of pterosaurs

> I like Mr. Cunningham's point. I would just like to add that given that
most
> pterosaurs were apperantly quadrupedal and many of them would probably
have
> had a bird like metabolism, being trapped on the ground for even a few
days
> could wipe out a species (especially if there were other pressures).
> Think of the advantage the heavily insolated running bird has in hunting
on
> the ground compared to a pterosaurs delicate quadrupedal movement.
>
> Has anyone considered that the smaller type of Quetzalcoatlus may be
> evidence of sexual dimorphosism?
> I can think of a number of arguments for this.

Yes, see Bennett, S. C. 1992.  Sexual dimorphism of Pteranodon and other
pterosaurs, with comments on cranial crests. Journal of Vertebrate
Paleontology, 12:422-434.

Chris

S. Christopher Bennett, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Basic Sciences
College of Chiropractic
University of Bridgeport
Bridgeport, CT  06601
http://www.bridgeport.edu/~cbennett

"Savor the sun--but when the clouds come make animals"  (Hexum)