Re: "Yale settles debate: Birds are dinosaurs"

> > At 10:51 AM 1/23/2004, Jaime A. Headden wrote:
>

> >I notice from the San Diego web site that the new exhibit opening out
> > there (which we will be getting in Toronto next year) seems to be
pushing
> > the maybe-raptors-aren't-dinosaurs-either argument.  Not surprising, as
> > Steven Czerkas seems to be deeply involved.

It shouldn't matter if anyone calls the dromaeosaurids birds,since by modern
classification,birds ARE dinosaurs.The common usage of the word "bird"could
be applied to anything with such a covering of
feathers,(Microraptor,Sinornithosaurus,oviraptorsaurs like Caudipteryx).I
would never call someone's pet parakeet a dinosaur for the same reason I
wouldn't refer to any other animal by the name of it's ancestors,"My what a
cute theropod dinosaur descendant you have in that cage,what's it's name?"
John Bridgman