Re: "Yale settles debate: Birds are dinosaurs"

At 02:00 PM 1/23/2004, TIMOTHY BRIDGEMAN wrote:
It shouldn't matter if anyone calls the dromaeosaurids birds,since by modern
classification,birds ARE dinosaurs.The common usage of the word "bird"could
be applied to anything with such a covering of
feathers,(Microraptor,Sinornithosaurus,oviraptorsaurs like Caudipteryx).I
would never call someone's pet parakeet a dinosaur for the same reason I
wouldn't refer to any other animal by the name of it's ancestors,"My what a
cute theropod dinosaur descendant you have in that cage,what's it's name?"

I think the point is that some people in the birds-aren't-dinos camp are suggesting that birds and dromaeosaurs are part of a clade that is separate from the "true" dinosaurs and convergent with it - a quite different notion to the one you suggest. Feduccia has certainly tipped his hat in that direction.

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court