Re: "Yale settles debate: Birds are dinosaurs"

--- "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com> wrote:

>   You have a bird in your cage, even if it is a descendant of some
> theropods, it is a dinosaur, rather than a dino-descendant (as if, at some
> point, like the ape, we stopped being an ape, and birds stopped being
> dinosaurs).

I don't like Gauthier's example there, because "ape" is a purely vernacular
word which is supposed to be paraphyletic. We are *hominoids*, but we are not,
strictly speaking, apes.

I usually explain it this way, "Birds are a type of dinosaur, just as bats are
a type of mammal."

Still, I think the original poster's point may have been that phylogenetic
taxonomy wouldn't affect vernacular speech. E.g., when I meet up with my
friends, I don't say, "What's up, fellow osteichthyans!?"

=====
=====> T. Michael Keesey <http://dino.lm.com/contact>
=====> Instant Messenger <Ric Blayze>
=====