Re: "Yale settles debate: Birds are dinosaurs"

MariusRomanus@aol.com wrote:

There really is no hard evidence that says without a shadow of a doubt that the flight style mechanism of the avian hand evolved for prey grasping,... yet more often than not, it is treated as such. Logic points toward arboreal activity as being just as likely a possibility, and some see it as being even more so.

I agree. The predatory stroke --> flight stroke hypothesis is by no means set in stone. Nevertheless, I think an arboreal origin for the begining of the flight stroke is entirely compatible with a theropod ancestry for birds (as supported by cladistic analysis).

Tim

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software ? optimizes dial-up to the max! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/plus&ST=1