Re: extinction5

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 05:48:25AM +0000, Simonyi scripsit:
> The energy of the extraterestrial object is
> E = m*ve2/2
> m = s*V
> where m - mass, e- exponent, v - velocity, s - specific gravity, V - volume.
>
> If we want to count the density of the energy then
> V = 1 m3
> If
> s = 2 g/cm3 = 2,000 kg/m3

This is a low value for specific gravity for a carbonaceous chondrite.

> v = 5,000 m/s

This is impossible.  It can't possibly be less than escape velocity, 11
km/s, minus the rotational velocity of the Earth. 5 km/s is half that
minimal velocity, which puts you more than a factor of four low.

Given that your specific gravity is a factor of two or more low, you're
an order of magnitude off in your energy density calculation.

> then
> E = 2*10e3*25*10e6/2 = 2.5*10e6  KJoule/m3
>
> The density of the energy of the first A-Bomb was around 1 billion times
> bigger than the density of energy of the extraterestrial object.

Well, yes, but you're comparing apples to kumquats -- we don't really
care about energy density, we care about energy delivered.  That is what
has been calculated to exceed the energy delivered by setting off the
whole nuclear arsenal.

--
oak@uniserve.com | Uton we hycgan    hwaer we ham agen,