Flightless bat? Flightless pterosaur?

Jaime Headden wrote:

Potentially, a flightless bat can occur, as much as a flightless
pterosaur.

If bats and pterosaurs hatched from eggs, yes. They could walk out of
the nest and fend for themselves after a suitable rearing period.

But they don't.

Both are born and hang on to their dear mother until mature enough, no
sooner than 50 percent the size of the adult. More of the story will be
out before summer.

All putative pterosaur babies are tiny adults. They are the result of
phylogenetic size squeezes (as in early mammals, birds, dinosaurs). At
least that's what my good old single-tree cladogram tells me.

You can tell the immature fenestrasaurs (including pterosaurs) from tiny
adults because the tibiae are shorter than the femora in juvies. That
helps them keep four on the floor, so to speak. Also, they don't ossify
until independence. Ironically they have slightly smaller orbits. So
they're not particularly "cute".

It all goes back to Cosesaurus and Longisquama, as you'll see. They all
go through a bit of metamorphosis when puberty kicks in.

David Peters
St. Louis