Re: extinction

David Marjanovic wrote:

> Abnormally thick eggshells occur at any time in any place, and are
> not concentrated at the K-T boundary; most importantly, they can result from
> all sorts of stress, by no means only from Ir!

I've heard about high Selenium levels in Deccan lava, and how the
element causes severe problems to developing bird embryos (and
presumably dinosaurs). Does anyone have any references? I remember
reading that Selenium levels were quite high in French sauropod eggs
during the Late Maastrichtian, and that Deccan Selenium contamination
may have reduced dinosaurian reproductive rates prior to the
end-Cretaceous impact. Exactly how would Selenium get out of the lava
and into the biosphere though?