Re: extinction

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the best way to test these
ideas is.....well.... to test them.  There are no local nor mass
extinctions correlated with the eruptions of the Miocene age Columbia
River Basalt Group (CRBs).  Why is this so?  I think that the CRBs are
giving us a clue.  We just have to find that clue.

<pb>
--

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:11:00 +1100 Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
writes:

> David Marjanovic wrote:
> >
> > Abnormally thick eggshells occur at any time in any place, and
> are
> > not concentrated at the K-T boundary; most importantly, they can
> result from
> > all sorts of stress, by no means only from Ir!
>
> I've heard about high Selenium levels in Deccan lava, and how the
> element causes severe problems to developing bird embryos (and
> presumably dinosaurs). Does anyone have any references? I remember
> reading that Selenium levels were quite high in French sauropod
> eggs
> during the Late Maastrichtian, and that Deccan Selenium
> contamination
> may have reduced dinosaurian reproductive rates prior to the
> end-Cretaceous impact. Exactly how would Selenium get out of the
> lava
> and into the biosphere though?
>
> --
>
> Dann Pigdon                   Australian Dinosaurs:
> GIS / Archaeologist         http://www.geocities.com/dannsdinosaurs
> Melbourne, Australia        http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj/

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!