Re: Martin and furcular homology

--- Sean ? wrote:

>Now, im no fan of Martin's work on avian origins, but
>surely he cannot be
>saying that, on the one hand, that the furculae are
>non-homologous because
>theropods lack interclavicles, and on the other, that
> they're non-homologous because
>they do!
>
>Is Martin just sinking deeper, or am I missing something?

Well, it's possible that he simply changed opinion.  The only papers I have on
furculae do not discuss the hypocleidium, so I cannot comment further on the
above, sadly.  Wasn't Martin rumoured to have possibly recently switched sides
in the avian origins debate?

Nick Gardner

Check out the new EudoraMail at
http://www.eudoramail.com