Re: Big Late Cretaceous Rat!

_Didelphodon vorax_, a Maastrictian metatherian, was as large as a
badger, so there's nothing new on the "biggest" front..  Perhaps the
media thought the story would make more sense if they just called those
tracks "rat sized".  That, and making sure they don't use scientific
words longer than 4 syllables.  No need to bore the readers with
accuracy.

<pb>
--

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:54:16 -0500 (EST) John Bois <jbois@umd5.umd.edu>
writes:
> >http://www.dinosaurnews.org
>
> A story in this webzine(sp?) mentions a rat race going on beneath
> the feet
> of 68 million-year old dinosaurs.  The story reports the discovery
> of a
> rat-sized mammal's tracks being found and that these tracks are .75
> inches long.  I know these things are often misreported, but...isn't
> that
> a big track for a rat-sized thingy.
> Or, is it me?

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!