Re: Martin and furcular homology

From: "Nick Gardner" <paleo_otaku95@eudoramail.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Martin and furcular homology
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:31:24 -0500

--- Sean ? wrote:

>Now, im no fan of Martin's work on avian origins, but
>surely he cannot be
>saying that, on the one hand, that the furculae are
>non-homologous because
>theropods lack interclavicles, and on the other, that
> they're non-homologous because
>they do!
>
>Is Martin just sinking deeper, or am I missing something?

Well, it's possible that he simply changed opinion. The only papers I have on furculae do not discuss the hypocleidium, so I cannot comment further on the above, sadly. Wasn't Martin rumoured to have possibly recently switched sides in the avian origins debate?

Nick Gardner

Need a new email address that people can remember Check out the new EudoraMail at http://www.eudoramail.com

Not that I am aware of. Last I knew he is still advocating his croc/bird nexus as strongly as ever, with Lianhai Hou as his new star pupil.

JGK

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up ? fast & reliable Internet access with prime features! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=dialup/home&ST=1