[no subject]

Re pterosaur endothermy:

We are starting to think that these animals had various flight styles,
ranging from gliding (without using much energy) to lots of flapping
(probably used lots of energy). OK, that doesn't solve the argument.

My point would be, look at the bone histology. Not many people have, but you
always see evidence of rapid growth (usually uninterrupted) in pterosaurs.
Birds grow rapidly, and ectothermic reptiles don't (unless you feed them
lots and keep them warm, but even then, they don't grow as quickly as birds
and mammals). I could go on, but I am sure you don't want me to! This
argument is a tricky one, but I think that further progress in
palaeohistology will provide more evidence one way or the other.

Lorna Steel
Dinosaur Isle
culver parade
sandown