Re: Long, long last gasp. (fwd)

> Most birds however have a notoriously
> bad sense of smell (if any at all).

Hm... is there any clear evidence of this? What I've seen cited is the fact
that some species gradually fill their nests with their excrements and don't
seem to be disturbed. But that that stuff doesn't stink for them doesn't
mean they can't smell it.
        (Then why does it stink for us? I've read the explanation that
mammals commonly use excrements to mark territory boundaries. To stay away
from boundaries means to get into fewer fights, which saves energy if not
lives...)

> Of course, flying foxes also have incredible eyesight...

?
Details please.