Re: (Paleognath monophyly)

---John Pourtless wrote:
>I accidentally sent my response before it was completed,
> so disregard the duplicate of this message.  At any rate,
>the characters advanced by Cracraft & Clarke (2001) are as
> dubious as any others advanced in defense of paleognath
>holophyly.  The posteriorly forked dentary is apparently
> present in Confuciusornithidae, and the remaining traits
> are all as explicable within the framework of neoteny as
> they are within that advanced by Cracraft
>and Clarke in their study.

I mean no offense, but considering the relatively basal position of
Confuciusornithids within Aves relative to Palaeognathae, the presence of a
posteriorly forked dentary in confuciusornithids seems no more relevant to the
monophyly/paraphyly/polyphyly of Palaeognathae, than the presence of said
feature in oviraptorids.

Sincerely

Nicholas Gardner
aim s/n Eoraptor22