Re: extinction5

"David Marjanovic" <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> writes:
> > If the specific gravity is 4 g/cm3 (what is too much according Mr
> > Marjanovic)
>
> Please note that I have no idea at all about the density of
> carbonaceous
> chondrites, or any meteorites for that matter. I was simply guessing
> that
> chondrites would contain much silicate, and I found in a textbook
> that glass
> had a density of 2.5 g/cm³. Well, I ignored the fact that those
> silicates
> are probably the silicates of heavier metals than the sodium of
> glass.

The specific gravity of the Allende carbonaceous chondrite (type CV3) is
3.67 g/cm^3.  IIRC, Murchison (type C2) has roughly the same sp. gr. as
Allende.  Those are typical examples of CCs.  The atypical Orgueil
meteorite (type C1) is lower.  Orgueil is so hydrate-rich that some
workers once believed it to be a fragment of the rocky core of a comet.

<pb>

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!