Re: Big Late Cretaceous Rat!

Phil Bigelow wrote:

> _Didelphodon vorax_, a Maastrictian metatherian, was as large as a
> badger, so there's nothing new on the "biggest" front...

Estimates for *Steropodon galmani* also suggest an animal about the size
of a large house cat. I doubt it would have been described as 'rat-like'
though.

--

Robert J. Schenck wrote:

> Rodent of Unusual Size?

Have you ever seen a Polynesian rat? They were originally bred for their
meat. I've seen photos of a Polynesian man sitting in a canoe with a
Polynesian rat on his lap - and largely filling his lap too. They can
get to the size of a corgi.