World's 'largest dinosaur' found

Archaeologists in Spain say they have discovered fossil bones belonging to one
of the world's largest dinosaurs.

The bones of a what would have been a 35m-long (about 115ft) creature weighting
50 metric tons were found near Riodeva in the eastern province of Teruel.

It is thought to have lived in the Lower Cretaceous period between 110m and 130m
years ago.

The dinosaur has not yet been fully identified, but it is apparently a
herbivorous sauropod similar to the Paralititan found in Egypt.

'Largest?'

The find was announced at a news conference on Wednesday by Luis Alcala, the
director of Teruel's palaeontological foundation. The bones shown included a
humerus (bone extending from shoulder to elbow) 1.78m (6ft) and a claw about
30cm (1ft) long.

We are looking at the largest humerus ever found in the world
Luis Alcala

"We can present a find that will shake palaeontology in the coming years, I am
absolutely convinced of that," said Mr Alcala.

"We are looking at the largest humerus ever found in the world," he added,
explaining that the previous record - belonging to the Paralititan - was 1.69m
(more than 5.5ft) long.

"The presence of crocodiles and fish with the dinosaur will give us a much
better idea of what the ecosystems of that era were like in the area of Teruel
and, by extension, on the Iberian peninsula and the continent of Eurasia," said
Mr Alcala.

'Teruel exists'

The site covers a surface of some 400sq m (4,306sq ft) of land cultivated over
centuries, and the bones have been rebuilt from thousands of fragments picked up
during the 18 months of excavations.

Teruel Province has a declining population and poor transport links and for
years has been clamouring for recognition.

It even set up its own pressure group - Teruel Exists - in 1999.

The people of Teruel will surely be hoping that the news of the dinosaur find
will put them firmly back on the map.

BBC Monitoring , based in Caversham in southern England, selects and translates
information from radio, television, press, news agencies and the Internet from
150 countries in more than 70 languages.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/3490626.stm

Published: 2004/02/27 14:48:47 GMT

© BBC MMIV