Re: World's 'largest dinosaur' found (with crocs & fish)

Peter pointed out to me that my email was set to html, so my reply did not go
through to all of you. Therefore, here it is again (right format I hope)

        There is no doubted that there were mountain-dwelling dinosaurs since
life invades any suitable place. Yet, for the most part, we will never know who
these dinosaurs are because mountains are areas of erosion, not deposition. The
right place at the right time holds true over geologic time, although not
necessarily for shorter intervals. For example, mammoth bones have been found
in the high mountains regions of Colorado. But since these mountains are
eroding, in a few million years all trace of these mammoths are likely to
disappear.
Ken

>>> <zone65@bigpond.com> 03/02/04 18:06 PM >>>
>
> <searching memory> I don't believe I have ever seen a dinosaur fossil
> in
> the ground in which a gar fish dermal plate, or a turtle fragment, or a
> croc scute was *not* also found nearby.
>
> Since water plays a big role in depositing nearly all terrestrial
> fossils-to-be (aeolian deposition being the exception), then the
> association of croc fossils and fish fossils with dinosaur bones has no
> particular significance.
>
> <pb>

I do wonder, then, why so many claim that most or all sauropods were
dry-landers, if their remains are practically *always* associated with
water creatures ... I appreciate the catch-22 that water and the
sedimentary deposits it lays down are necessary for forming fossils.
But doesn't that mean that all fossilized dinosaurs lived in
more-or-less wet conditions? Or can fossilization sometimes be the
result of infrequent but heavy rainfall (such as in the Chinese desert
finds)?

Peter M