Re: Mountain dinosaurs

--- Phil Bigelow <bigelowp@juno.com> wrote:
> For some reason, ankylosaurs are often found in
> marine deposits.

  As far as I know, just nodosaurs, not ankylosaurids.

>Perhaps
> its because they remained bloated longer than other
> similar size
> dinosaurs, and they had more time to float down the
> river and out to sea
> compared to, say, a Triceratops corpse.

  Maybe nodosaurs just lived closer to the sea than
most other dinosaurs.

> Maybe the
> ankylosaur's skin
> armor delayed the inevitable bursting of the body
> cavity.

  I doubt it. Belly armor is known in Saichania but
not AFAIK, in nodosaurs.

> It is also possible that, given optimum fluvial
> conditions (and optimum
> bodily fermentation conditions), mountain dinosaurs
> WOULD get washed down
> into the upper and lower coastal plain
> paleoenvirnments.  Rarity of a
> certain fossil species may be a clue that the animal
> didn't live in the
> area where it was deposited,

  I suspect this is true of Ankylosaurus, since AMNH
5895 is the only specimen ever found in the Hell
Creek, with the exception of a few teeth.

> but how would we know
> for sure?

  See Coombs and Maryanska in THE DINOSAURIA. They
noted that Asian ankylosaurs were found right side up,
indicating they died within or close to their natural
life habitat, whereas American ankylosaurs are often
found upside down, indicating bloating and transport.

   Tim

> <pb>
> --

> > >           There is no doubted that there were
> mountain-dwelling
> > dinosaurs
> > > since life invades any suitable place. Yet, for
> the most part, we
> > will
> > > never know who these dinosaurs are because
> mountains are areas of
> >
> > > erosion, not deposition. The right place at the
> right time holds
> > true
> > > over geologic time, although not necessarily for
> shorter
> > intervals.
> > > For example, mammoth bones have been found in
> the high mountains
> > > regions of Colorado. But since these mountains
> are eroding, in a
> > few
> > > million years all trace of these mammoths are
> likely to
> > disappear.
> > > Ken
> >
> > This is the greatest bummer of them all, of
> course...
> >
> > Could the dinosaurs we know also have been
> mountain dwellers, or is
> >
> > that just something else we'll never be able to
> conclude?
> >
> > Peter M

> The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno
> SpeedBand!
> Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
> Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up
today!