Re: New(ish) paper II

David Marjanovic wrote-

> > > _Microraptor_ is called a troodontid.
> >
> > Must have listened to Jean-Pierre D'Amour. ;-)
>
> Nononooo! Only the skull of the holotype belongs to a troodontid. =8-)

Really?  What about the mandibles preserved with CAGS 20-7-004 (Hwang et
al., 2002)?  Shouldn't they be troodontid too?

Yup.  Charles A. Long can be reached at clong@uwsp.edu

> > Their phylogenetic hypothesis seems very confused, reminding one of
> Feduccia
> > (2002).
>
> Oh, or of BCF, before it was managed to convince Olshevsky was not a
> theropod.

Nah, George's phylogeny has always been explicit and fairly standard within
Theropoda (including Aves), excepting the central lineage of tiny acronomic
gliders.  And Longisquama was a basal theropod, not an ancestor of birds and
coelurosaurs(/dinosaurs?).
As an illustration of the dfferences between Olshevsky's (1994) and
Feduccia's 2002 hypotheses-

Olshevsky
|--Mesenosaurus
`--+--aquatic archosaurs
   `--+--+==thecodonts
      |  `--Crocodilia
      `--+--Pterosauria
         `--+--Cosesaurus
            `--+--+--Sauropoda
               |  `--+--Prosauropoda
               |     `--+--Segnosauria
               |        |--unarmored Ornithischia
               |        `--armored Ornithischa
               `--+--Megalancosaurus
                  `--+--primitive Dinosauria
                     |--Longisquama
                     |--+==ceratosaurs
                     |  |--Spinosauridae
                     |  `--Abelisauria
                     `--+--Eustreptospondylidae
                        `--+--Allosauridae
                           `--+--+--Archaeopteryx
                              |  |--Dromaeosauridae
                              |  `--Enantiornithes
                              `--+--Oviraptorosauria
                                 `--+--Avimimus
                                    `--+--+--Compsognathus
                                       |  `--advanced theropod groups
                                       `--+--Mononykus
                                          `--+--primitive Carinatae
                                             `--Neornithes

Feduccia
|==basal archosauromorphs
`--+--Aetosauria
   |--Phytosauria
   |--Crocodilomorpha
   |--Rauisuchidae
   |?=some "theropods"
   |--Poposauridae
   |--Pterosauria
   |?=some "dinosaurs"
   |--Ornithosuchidae
   |--+?-Lagosuchus
   |  `--+--true non-theropod dinosaurs, if they exist
   |     `--Theropoda
   |        |?-Herrerasauridae
   |        |--Coelophysoidea
   |        |--Carnosauria
   |        |--Sinosauropteryx
   |        |--+--Ornithomimosauria
   |        |  `--Alvarezsauridae
   |        |--NOT BIRDS
   |        |?-Oviraptorosauria
   |        `?-+--Troodontidae
   |           `--dromaeosaurs
   |              |--dromaeosaurs preserved without feathers
   |              |?-Cryptovolans
   |              `?-Microraptor
   `--+--Drepanosauridae
      |--Longisquama
      `--+--Archaeopteryx
         |--Shenzhouraptor
         |--+?-dromaeosaurs preserved without feathers
         |  |--Crytovolans
         |  `--Microraptor
         `--+--Protarchaeopteryx
            |--+--Caudipteryx