From Oliver Rauhut - Re: Amygdalodon addendum

According to Rauhut, the element does not even belong to a sauropod, much
less _Amygdalodon_, and he lists it as Vertebrata indet.  But I wonder:
could it be a fragment of dermal armor belonging to _Amygdalodon_?

Wouldn´t think so. It doesn´t look like any dinosaur dermal armour I´ve ever
seen and would be awefully big for any of the sauropods represented by the
material of Amygdalodon. It kind of looks like part of a plate of a large
turtle, maybe with a rib attachment on the interior side, though Marcelo de la
Fuente could not identify it as any turtle element. Another possibility might
be part of a plesiosaur pectoral girdle (parts of the section are marine), but
again, Zulma Gasparini saw it and couldn´t think of any plesiosaur bone that
looks like that. The bone thus remains a mystery and can only be referred to
as vertebrata indet.
Cheers,

Oliver

Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar ? includes FREE pop-up blocking! http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200414ave/direct/01/