Re: Huaxiagnathus orientalis

Waylon Rowley (cryptovolans@yahoo.com) wrote:

<or "hwah-zah-nay-thus", as my chinese stepmother said upon seeing the
word. the "zah" sounds almost french, like the J in the name "jacques".
Maybe it's payback for american names like "Rioarribasaurus". now, back to
making my flied lice and glavy.... >

  Drat, I spelled the nomen nudum, not the published, described name. Oh
well. The "g" is not silent in this matter, and shifts to the end of the
preceeding syllable when pronounced; it should thus be either
"hwah-shahg-" [second syllable with a short 'a'] or "hwah-zhahg-NAH-thous"
[ou being a cross between 'oh' and 'ah,' as in Latin and Greek]. I use
"sh" for 'x' based on one form of transliteration of the relative
character.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden