Re: Huaxiagnathus orientalis (pronunciation)

From: Ben Creisler bh480@scn.org

I have not seen the original paper yet but I assume that
the name comes from Huaxia, an ancient name for China.
Huaxia would be pronounced approximately hwah-shyah
according to the pinyin transcription. When combined with
the Greek -gnathos, the "g" should be pronounced--the "g"
is silent for English speakers at the beginning of words
and names but NOT internally (see Greek-derived English
words such as prognosis). Where the accent goes is a bit
tricker. Since scientific names are considered a form of
Latin, the standard Latin rules can be applied and the
main accent falls on the antepenultimate (hwah-SHYAHG-na-
thuss) because the "a" in gnathos is short. However, when
names are made by combining Latin or Greek with other
languages a good case could be made for putting the
accents on word roots--hwah-shyahg-NAY-thuss.