re: Marjanovic's comments on Peters > Unwin

Rather than copy David's reply I refer you to:

To: "DML" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
*       Subject: Re: Unwin's cladogram - long
*       From: "David Marjanovic" <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
*       Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 22:20:51 +0100
*       References: <404A21A4.55A24ED2@earthlink.net>
*       Reply-To: david.marjanovic@gmx.at
*       Sender: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu

Hope this gets you there.

Bottom line to all David Marjanovic's comments _and mine_ is that using supra
generic taxa, especially the first time out with a taxon as contentious and
unknown as the Pterosauria, leads to problems. Add to that, incorrect coding
and there is little that can be gleaned  from such a work. Regarding
ossification or lack thereof, we don't know if pterosaurs followed "the rules"
or if they invented and reinvented their own  way of maturing, via
paedomorphosis or otherwise. Keep the book open on this one.

David Peters
St. Louis