Of Tarbosaurs and tabbies

I should know this already, but when did the lion and tiger diverge? Would it be accurate to say they are each branches of the same species on the path to distinct speciation? If so, do they therefore represent transitional forms, of the type so coveted in the fossil record?

Peter Markmann (scrambling to get back on topic)

As I mentioned in some emails recently, the ability to interbreed with
relatives is a primitive trait. Thus, the cornerstone of the BSC
(Biological Species Concept) is based on plesiomorphy (i.e., the lack of
evolutionary change)!!

So don't let the fact that all of us learn the BSC as the "real" species
definition get in the way of the fact that it doesn't really work.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.