Re: Ligers and tigrons - oh my!

> though I suppose if you were enough of a lumper to want
> to put lions and tigers in the same species, you wouldn't bat an eye at
> including leopards and jaguars as well.

If, on the other hand, you were a splitter, you'd follow the suggestion to
put lions and tigers in different _genera_: the lion in its own *Leo*
(together with the cave lion, *Leo spelaeus*, and the American lion, *Leo
atrox*... both are usually regarded as subspecies, somewhat difficult to
tell for these Pleistocene forms), and the tiger in the clouded leopard's
genus *Neofelis*. Yes, really, I've seen *Neofelis tigris*.