Re: Orangachimps??? (off-topic)

--- Nick Pharris <npharris@umich.edu> wrote:
> Quoting David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>:
>
> > > (I think even a chimp/human hybrid would be more likely than an
> > > "orangachimp"!)
> >
> > Apart from the fact that we have only 23 pairs of chromosomes. All other
> > (investigated) apes have 24. (Our chromosome 2 is the result of a fusion.)
>
> Then again, night monkeys (_Aotus_) have been found to have anywhere from
> 49-54 chromosomes, though there is probably more than one species involved.

Interesting.
Also worth pointing out that horses (_Equus caballus_) and donkeys (_E.
asinus_) have different chromosome counts (32 and 31 pairs, respectively), yet
can interbreed. (Mules and hinnies have 63 chromosomes.)

=====
=====> T. Michael Keesey <http://dino.lm.com/contact>
=====> Instant Messenger <Ric Blayze>
=====