Re: Lost In Translation: Tokyo Brachiosaurus

All I can add is that the image wasn't created
especially for the film, as it also appeared on a
slightly low-budget TV series "starring" Adam and Joe,
who nobody outside of the UK will have heard of.

Simon

http://www.joblo.com/upcomingmovies/2003/posters/lostintranslation.htm.
>  I am, of course, speaking of the poster with
> Scarlett Johansson holding an umbrella rather than
> the poster with Bill Murray sporting fluffy
> slippers.  I don't know the identity of this
> building.
>
> My question: assuming that this dinosaur is not a
> special effect manufactured strictly for the film
> (which is hard to imagine in this genre of film),
> how is such a huge moving image produced on the many
> transparent windows of a building?  Front
> projection, rear projection, translucent scrims,
> transparent video screens (!) or what?  I used to
> work in the field of motion picture visual effects,
> and I don't know how this works.
>
> Ordinarily, a movie screen is either opaque (as in
> conventional movie screens), opaque and reflective
> (as in the Scotchlite front projection material used
> in the "2001: A Space Odyssey" dawn of man
> sequence), or translucent (as in scrims used for
> stage effects and rear projection screens).  Perhaps
> the dinosaur is merely projected onto drawn blinds,
> but interior lighting appears to show through the
> windows, and such a projection would be overpowered
> by ambient light.  The black background would be
> washed out.
>
> Another option is some kind of electronic or video
> process, but this would seem to be prohibitively
> expensive on such a scale as this, and I don't know
> of any such system that would also provide residents
> with a view of the outside world.  Mirrors,
> including partially silvered mirrors (2 way mirrors)
> would not appear to be at work here, as the problem
> then would be the whereabouts of a somewhat larger
> image to be reflected by this building!  None of
> these hypotheses seems satisfactory to me.
>
> If there is some medium that facilitates the
> projection or transmission of an image onto a large
> facade made up of a transparent window or set of
> windows, then this technique might be very useful in
> museum exhibitry, and I would love to find out about
> it!
>
> Does anyone out there know what building this is,
> and how the sauropod is wrapped onto its surface?
> Inquiring minds want to know!
>
>  ------
> Ralph W. Miller III
> ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu
>
> "This is why I left Japan!"
> ------translation of the line spoken by a Japanese
> American man in California running from _T. rex_ in
> "The Lost World: Jurassic Park"

=====
Find out about the dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight at
    DinoWight- the Dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight
           http://www.geocities.com/dinowight