Re: Those supercrested nyctosaurs

----- Original Message -----
From: "James R. Cunningham" <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
To: <cmchenry@westserv.net.au>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>; <margootjeg@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: Those supercrested nyctosaurs

>Our initial work suggested
> that under some circumstances it could indeed be beneficial so long as an
> appropriate part of  the animal was in contact with the water most of the
time.

Ok, so what happens if there is no contact with the sea? The surface of the
ocean is extremely dynamic and with the swells and all I would assume that
at some point the contact between animal and water will be broken, for
however briefly. And that's just when sailing. There must also have been
occasions when the animal was not actively using its crest to sail. How does
the sail crest affect the pterosaur's performance in these cases?

Cheers,
Christopher Collinson.