Re: Chasmosaurus' weight

This is in reply to a 6-year-old message I found while browsing the archives (better late than never):

Greg Paul wrote:
"The 1.5 tonne mass applies to Chasmosaurus NMC 2280, femur length 762 mm. I'm
not aware of a specimen that is much larger."

I imagine Greg may have been referring to the mass estimate reported in his DinoFest paper on the topic of using models to estimate mass (I don't have that paper on me right now). In either case, I just wanted to add that NMC 2280 doesn't actually have a preserved femur, and what little *might* be there is completely burried in plaster, so the actual shape of the femur is completely a human concoction. As such, I wouldn't suggest using it for any sort of study.
Sorry for the late reply!

Jordan Mallon

Vertebrate Paleontology & Paleoecology

http://dino.lm.com/artists/display.php?name=Mallon