Re: Chasmosaurus' weight

Greg Paul (GSP1954@aol.com) wrote:

<The mass estimate of Chamsmosaurus 2280 applies to the skeleton as whole,
and is not dependent upon the length of the femur which is merely a
convenient long bone present in many specimens. For example my mass
estimate of the mounted Brachiosaurus skeleton SII is entirely valid even
though the femur is missing, and is therefore estimated to be 2090 mm. It
is not necessary and often impossible to have every single bone in a mass
restored skeleton.>

  If the mass is validated, what are the criteria used to infer it? Your
method described in _Predatory Dinosaurs of the World_ uses either femoral
length and isometric scaling for a known or given avian mass for bipeds,
averaged scaling for humeral + femoral length and circumference for a
given quadruped, and scaled; if these methods are not used, what then?

=====
Jaime A. Headden