King Kong Casting News - Carl Denham TO Be Played By...

... Jack Black

Interesting.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000474714

Jack Black has been in cast in Peter Jackson's remake of "King Kong" for
Universal Pictures. Jackson and Fran Walsh will produce the film under
their WingNut Films banner.

Black will play Carl Denham, an adventurous filmmaker and showman trying
to make a name for himself in 1930s New York. Robert Armstrong played the
role in the 1933 original.

Black joins Naomi Watts, who is playing Ann Darrow, an American actress
who makes a living performing in Broadway song and dance shows. Fay Wray
starred as Darrow in the original.

A third lead, the character of a writer, has yet to be cast.

"I've been wanting to work with Jack Black ever since I saw him in 'High
Fidelity,' " said Jackson, who is writing the remake along with his "Lord
of the Rings" co-screenwriters Walsh and Philippa Boyens. "He's a smart
and versatile actor (who is) blessed with an abundance of energy and
charm, and I'm absolutely thrilled that he is joining us on 'Kong.' I look
forward to seeing Carl Denham come to life in this new version of the
story, and I have no doubt Jack will make him a truly memorable
character."

Black, who was honored last week as Comedy Star of the Year at ShoWest
2004, starred in the fall hit "School of Rock," from Paramount Pictures.
The role also earned him a Golden Globe nomination for best performance by
an actor in a comedy or musical. Black's other credits include "Shallow
Hal," "Saving Silverman" and "Orange County," and he next appears in
DreamWorks' "Envy."

see also  http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=17282
for movie fan commentary