Re: The Dinosauria 2nd Ed. - Phylogenetic Taxonomy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mickey Mortimer" <Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com>
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 9:10 AM

Paraves (Passer domesticus <- Oviraptor philoceratops)

:-(

Deinonychus antirhoppus

I hope this isn't how they spell *antirrhopus*.

Megalosauridae (Megalosaurus bucklandi <- Spinosaurus aegyptiacus,
Allosaurus fragilis, Passer domesticus)

Good.

Megalosaurinae (Megalosaurus bucklandi <- Eustreptospondylus oxoniensis)
Eustreptospondylinae (Eustreptospondylus oxoniensis <- Megalosaurus
bucklandi)

Bad. Depending on where *Eustreptospondylus* falls, either of these names could include Avetheropoda, and Megalosaurinae could include Megalosauridae.

Carnosauria (Allosaurus fragilis <- birds)

Aesthetically, I'd still prefer to get rid of the old names Carnosauria and Coelurosauria... well.

Therizinosauroidea (Therizinosaurus + Beipiaosaurus)

Contradicting the traditional concept which sort of has *Alxasaurus* instead of *Beipiaosaurus*.

- Nice try, but Dromaeosaurus needs to be a specifier.  When will people
learn?!

In 200n...

Ornithurae (Hesperornithiformes + Ichthyornithiformes + Neornithes)

That makes how many definitions of that name now? 5?

Lithostrotia (Malawisaurus + Saltasaurus)

Hey, new name. What does it mean? Stone ...?