Re: The Dinosauria 2nd Ed. - Phylogenetic Taxonomy

David Marjanovic wrote-

> > Paraves (Passer domesticus <- Oviraptor philoceratops)
>
> :-(

You people and your worries about silly things like etymologies...

> > Megalosaurinae (Megalosaurus bucklandi <- Eustreptospondylus oxoniensis)
> > Eustreptospondylinae (Eustreptospondylus oxoniensis <- Megalosaurus
> > bucklandi)
>
> Bad. Depending on where *Eustreptospondylus* falls, either of these names
> could include Avetheropoda, and Megalosaurinae could include
Megalosauridae.

Agreed.

> > Carnosauria (Allosaurus fragilis <- birds)
>
> Aesthetically, I'd still prefer to get rid of the old names Carnosauria
and
> Coelurosauria... well.

They've had standardized new uses for almost 20 years now.

> > Therizinosauroidea (Therizinosaurus + Beipiaosaurus)
>
> Contradicting the traditional concept which sort of has *Alxasaurus*
instead
> of *Beipiaosaurus*.

A concept that is almost entirely due to this mailing list.  Russell and
Dong (1994) never defined Therizinosauroidea explicitly, and Xu et al.
(1999) assigned Beipiaosaurus to the clade when it was first described.

> > Ornithurae (Hesperornithiformes + Ichthyornithiformes + Neornithes)
>
> That makes how many definitions of that name now? 5?

Four.
(Vultur gryphus <- Archaeopteryx lithographica) (modified from Gauthier,
1986)
(Hesperornis regalis + Vultur gryphus) (modified from Chiappe, 1991)
(tail shorter than the femur and with an upturned and ploughshare-shaped
compressed pygostyle in the adult, composed of less than six segments, and
shorter than the less than eight free caudals, homologous with Vultur
gryphus) (Gauthier and de Queiroz, 2001)

> > Lithostrotia (Malawisaurus + Saltasaurus)
>
> Hey, new name. What does it mean? Stone ...?

No, it was published by Wilson and Upchurch (2003) first.  "From the Greek
lithostrotos, "inlaid with stones"..."

Oh, and I made a typo when I wrote-
> Oviraptorinae (Oviraptor philoceratops + Citipati osmolskae)
> Ingeniinae (Ingenia yanshini + Conchoraptor gracilis)
> - This is the first time the subfamilies have been named, and I'm not
> impressed.

I meant _defined_, not named.

Mickey Mortimer
Undergraduate, Earth and Space Sciences