Re: coelurosauravus revisited

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Williams" <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 6:55 PM

7. The hands and feet, to no one's suprise, appear to be webbed.

You mean "to everyone's surprise". What for would an arboreal animal need webbings that I at least can't see in the bad photo?

I'm not surprised. If webbing is indeed present in _Coelurosauravus_ (and I'm not saying that it is), then it would make sense for a gliding animal. Flying frogs (e.g., _Rhacophorus_) have webbed hands and feet, and so do many other aerial gliding animals that launch themselves from trees. Colugos (flying lemurs) have an interdigital patagium, and are called "mitten gliders" for this reason.

OK, but "flying" frogs are parachuters that lack any other expanded surfaces, and colugos have webbed fingers and toes as an extension of a complete patagium. *C.* would have them in addition to completely separate wings.

BTW, any one know WHY this beastie is actually called _Coelurosauravus_?

It was once thought to be the "grandfather" of the coelurosaurs... but don't ask me why.