Re: The Dinosauria 2nd Ed. - Phylogenetic Taxonomy

On 2/11/04 8:47 am, "Phil Bigelow" <bigelowp@juno.com> wrote:

> Ahh....  An excellent opportunity for me to ask the following question.
> Why are clade redefinitions even allowed?  This practice creates massive
> confusion in the scientific literature.  Which authority monitors this
> stuff?

    At present, no-one. The PhyloCode is not yet in effect, and unranked
names and names above superfamily rank are not covered by the ICZN. So you
can pick and choose to define names as you will. Also, as ICZN names are
anchored on a single taxon, it's a matter of your own discretion how broadly
you want to extend a family or subfamily. At present, 'definitions' are
effectively just shorthand that an author uses to indicate how they're using
a taxon.

    Cheers,

        Christopher Taylor