DINOSAUR STATISTICS (genera per era, states by number of genera and more)-please check

Good day!
I've made a little investigation in number of known dinosaur genera, their
distribution among periods etc. My primary sources were George Olshevski's DGL
and dinodata web site. I counted a total of 549 (indisputed) valid non avian
dinosaur genera known to the date of October the 17th 2004. (DGL says 568, but
there are some possible senior synonyms included to that number). Well,
firstly, it's 180 years from the first dinosaur description (February 20th,
1824). That means, we have found 3.05 dinosaur genera per each year in average.
About 3.38 dinosaur genera was present in each million years of dinosaur
existence in average (228-65.5 Ma). The real distribution should look like
this: (only valid non avian dinosaur genera, some of them spread through
periods, so the total number is somewhat higher...lenght of periods according
to Gradstein et al. 2004)

Age            number   lenght  number per Ma
Late Triassic:
Carnian          21       11.5     1.8
Norian           24       12.9     1.9
Rhaetian          9        4.0     2.2
Early Jurassic:
Hettangian       16        3.1     5.2
Sinemurian       21        6.9     3.0
Pliensbachian    17        6.6     2.6
Toarcian         11        7.4     1.5
Middle Jurassic:
Aalenian          7        4.0     1.7
Bajocian          9        3.9     2.3
Bathonian        23        3.0     7.7
Callovian        28        3.5     8.0
Late Jurassic:
Oxfordian        18        6.2     2.9
Kimmeridgian     49        4.2    11.7
Tithonian        37        5.3     7.0
Early Cretaceous:
Berriasian       11        5.3     2.1
Valanginian      23        3.8     6.0
Hauterivian      26        6.4     4.1
Barremian        42        5.0     8.4
Aptian           47       13.0     3.6
Albian           58       12.4     4.7
Late Cretaceous:
Cenomanian       37        6.1     6.1
Turonian         27        4.2     6.4
Coniacian        16        3.8     4.2
Santonian        25        2.0    12.5
Campanian       122       12.9     9.5
Maastrichtian   107        5.1    21.0

Plus genera without era known:
Late Triassic: 7
Early Jurassic: 5
Middle Jurassic: 5
Late Jurassic: 18
Early Cretaceous: 37
Late Cretaceous: 26

States according to number of dinosaur genera (again, valid, non-avian genera,
total of 549...some of them known from more than 1):

1. USA  136 (1 doubtful)

2. China  114 (1)

3. Mongolia  58

4. Argentina  54

5. Canada  44

6. UK  40 (1)

7. France  22 (1)

8. Portugal  18

9. Niger  14
   RSA  14

11. Australia  13 (1)

12. Spain  12
    Brazil  12

14. Uzbekistan  11
    Germany  11

16. Morroco  10

17. Tanzania  9 (1)

18. India  9

19. Romania  8

20. Madagascar  7

21. Lesotho  6

22. Egypt  5
    Russia  5

24. Uruguay  4
    Zimbabwe  4
    Thailand  4
    Algeria  4

28. Tunisia  3
    Mexico  3

30. Kazakhstan 2 (1)

31. Malawi  2
    Japan  2
    Orange F.S.  2
    Belgium  2
    Switzerland  2
    Austria  2

37. Hungary  1
    Denmark  1
    Tadzhikistan  1
    Kirghistan  1
    Croatia  1
    Chile  1
    Namibia  1
    Italy  1
    S. Korea  1
    Tibet  1
    Lybia  1
    Laos  1
    Antarctica  1

Valid dinosaur genera known from 49 states so far.

Dinosaur letters by number (the same):

1. S  62
2. A  60
3. P  46
4. C  45
5. T  41
6. M  32
7. B,E,L  27
10. G  25
11. D  23
12. H  21
13. N  20
14. R  16
15. O  13
16. K  12
17. I  10
18. V  8
19. J,Y  6
21. Z  5
22. F,Q,U  4
25. X  3
26. W  2

Longest dinosaur generic name: _Micropachycephalosaurus_

Shortest dinosaur generic name: _Mei_

Most prolific year in dinosaur discoveries: 2003 (28 valid genera?)

OK, that's all for now. Any comments and checkings appreciated. Thanks, Vlad

"Quidquid erit, superanda omnis fortuna ferendo est" Vergilius

http://www.bezpecnyinternet.cz
http://ad.seznam.cz/clickthru?spotId=80833