Re: champsosaurus range

The question then occurs, what are the main microfaunal index fossils that denote the K/T boundary above Hell Creek in Montana/Lance in Wyoming. Obviously they have to be common and limited to either time interval to be useful. The absence of dinosaur material above the break would not necessarily be obvious and the reworked stuff could certainly be confusing. In the meantime the presence of something new and common in the Paleocene would be useful. I read about a fern explosion and a lignite layer (not here so far) but this is hardly useful if they are not exposed or present locally. This previously mentioned Champsosaur vert came out about 600 GPS feet above MY base (not the absolute contact) of known Hell Creek which seems pretty high/thick to me (even accounting for a 50 foot regional dip per mile) to still be HC. Please excuse my ignorance in this point as I am just now exploring up section away from where I am comfortable/oriented. The really scary thing is that some of this is starting to make sense!

Frank Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming