Re: Nonindependence of tooth characters in mammals (at least!)

<Tomorrow's Nature has mind-boggling news.

Aapo T. Kangas, Alistair R. Evans, Irma Thesleff & Jukka Jernvall: Nature
432, 211 -- 214 (11 November 2004)>

  I am drinking in the irony. How many times have mammologists, both
extant and extinct, remarked that their teeth, their beautiful breeding
teeth, were the essence of mammal evolution? I have been harping about the
use of reptilian teeth for some time, and some of your have heard excactly
what I plan to do about it, but this is preparation for my eventual look
at mammal tooth shape characteristics some odd 10 years down the line
(unless someone beats me to the punch, which only means it simplifies MY
job).

  YAY!

  Cheers,

=====