Re: 152nd anniversary of G. A. Mantell's death and the short list of most important persons in the history of discovering fossils

<<Pliny the Elder (Plinius Secundus) 23-79 CE>>

<The Elder is "secundus"? ~:-|>

  In this case, Gaius Plinius Secundus.

<<Leonardo Da Vinci  15 April 1452 - 2 May 1519>

<Isn't that da Vinci?>

  There are a lot of notes that transcribe Da Vinci, as much as L. da
Vinci. It's a loosing battle, David.

<<Georg August Goldfuss  18 April 1782 - 2 October 1848>>

<Probably Goldfuß, but I don't know.>

  Probably both. Many transcriptions have popularized the name with the
double "s" rather than the German form that "melded" them into "ß." The
"ss" is more popular, and historians would probably agree that a man's
name can change with time and culture, as did Carolus Linnaeus, who had it
changed in his father's time to Carl von Linné, secondary to the birth
name, apparently. And thank god Linnaeus isn't on this list, no positive
contribution to paleontology.

  I would include Charles Robert Darwin [Feb. 12, 1809 - Apr. 19, 1882],
though, as well as Alfred Russel Wallace [Jan. 8, 1823 - Nov. 7, 1913]
since their constributions did directly impact paleontology, and the
former at least discussed fossils. Christian Erich Hermann von Meyer
[Sept. 3, 1801 - Apr. 2, 1869, just after his publications on
*Archaeopteryx*] (often just Hermann von Meyer) also contributed a great
deal to early European geo, and Thomas Jefferson [Apr. 13, 1743 - Jul. 4,
1826] is said to have had some expansionist ideas impacting paleo.

<<Adolph D'Archiac  24 September 1802 - 24 December 1868>>

<If he's French, then he's Adolphe, and d'Archiac.>

  Amen to the little d, but, this is his full name, from French sources:
"Etienne Jules Adolph Desmier, vicomte d'Archiac," in which "vicomte
d'Archiac" is NOT part of his name, only "Etienne Jules Adolph Desmier"
is.

<<P. De Malpas Grey Egerton  13 Nov 1806 - 6 April 1881>>

<Uh... how many surnames? Two? ~:-|>

  Some cultures may have more than one. In Mexico, it is common for men
and women to bear both their maternal and paternal names. However, this
name is "Philip de Malpas Grey-Egerton."

<Agassiz.>

Jean Luis Rodolphe Agassíz....

<<Joseph Le Conte 1823 - 1901>>

<Not Comte?>

  Nope. Actually, "LeComte" in my sources.

<<Eudes Deslongchamps  1830 - 1895 (89)>>

<Eudes-Deslongchamps is the surname.>

  Joseph Armand Eudes-Deslongchamps.

<And the rest of the dynasty?>

  Louis S. B. Leakey [Aug. 7, 1903 - Oct. 1, 1972]

  Most everyone else in the family involved in paleo is still around.

<<Eugenii A. Maleev  1915 - 1966>>

<Not u, v. (We could waffle endlessly about the rest of the spelling, but
this is definite.)>

  Eh ... so is using the proper spelling for all of it: Yevgeny
Aleksandrovich Maleyev. In Russian, "ye" is usually soft (and approximates
"e") unless 1) at beginning of a word, 2) at end of a word, or 3)
following another vowel. There are some transcriptors that ignore the "y"
sound altogether, and ignore that there are two different letters
representing "ee" and "yeh/eh." For instance, Evolutsii does not use the
"E" character, but the rounded "backwards" "E."

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden