Re: The Dinosauria 2nd Ed. - Saurischia taxonomy and phylogeny

Tim Williams wrote-

> >Dromiceiomimus brevitertius, D. samueli = Ornithomimus edmontonicus
>
> One day we might see the new combination _D. edmontonicus_ - depending on
> how finely calibrated one's genericometer is.

Well, the authors sink both species into O. edmontonicus, so it doesn't seem
to be a subjective synonymy.

> Moser recently resurrected _Gresslyosaurus_ as a valid genus, based on
> sacral characters.

Yates should be getting Plateosauravus out as a valid genus soon
(http://dml.cmnh.org/2003Jul/msg00121.html), and there are a couple other
prior nomina dubia to be redescribed in the future as well.

> I think it's interesting that _Tienshanosaurus_ and _Sonorasaurus_ are
> regarded as _nomina dubia_, but _Titanosaurus indicus_ and _T. blanfordi_
> and _Ornithopsis_ are treated as valid (if I understand your notation
> correctly).

You understood correctly.  Note Histriasaurus and Mongolosaurus are listed
as nomina dubia too, both which I doubt should be.  I think the authors may
have the mentality of judging taxa based on their reported apomorphies
instead of examining the specimens/literature for apomorphies themselves.
Needless to say, I don't agree with this philosophy.

Mickey Mortimer
Undergraduate, Earth and Space Sciences
University of Washington